Dear HaBangNet Clients,
If you are using Microsoft Windows system, please read this Alert in detail.
If you are not using Microsoft Windows system, please ignore this Alert.
A new variant of ransomware known as Petwrap / Petya / NotPetya / Nyetya is spreading quickly. HKCERT was aware that it is widespread overseas. The different name indicate the industry is debating if the ransomware is directly related to another known ransomware Petya.
Preventive measures for individual users
1. Apply latest Windows security update.
Direct links for downloading patch for individual Windows versions are provided (exceptional Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows 8 patch also released):
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msrc/2017/05/12/customer-guidance-for-wannacrypt-attacks/ (scroll down to the bottom)
1. Ensure that there is a firewall or broadband router in place, and SMB service is not open (close TCP ports 139 and 445 technically).
2. Ensure that anti-virus or Internet security application is installed, and have its signature updated.
3. Perform offline backup (i.e. backup in another storage device, disconnect it after backup).
4. Do not open links and attachment in any suspicious emails.
5. Ensure that your computer have baseline protection, i.e. enable and run Windows Update, install anti-virus application with signature updated, enable Windows Firewall.
We highly recommend that customers download and update Microsoft patches immediately by yourself. If we have further actions, we will contact with you via Email.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us via ticket system.
Thanks for using HaBangNet.
HaBangNet Network and Security Team